Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:20:13 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is the Digitool still available from someone???

> can you also get oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp from the ecu ?

Unfortunately, oil only has a couple yes/no pressure switches, and they're on their own separate warning circuit.You can add an oil temp sensor in place of the drain plug, and hack in a dual-function gauge driving oil pressure sensor with an extension tube and a hole cut in the left pushrod tube shield. I did both myself. I can't imagine driving around without knowing what my oil pressure was.

-might close at $80-90 > > http://cgi.ebay.com/Crouzet-Millenium-II-Programmable-Controller-88950070_W0 > QQitemZ7560423950QQcategoryZ97184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that all we need & some cable harness to connect to the ecu > & some bribe to Germain to get his programming :)

That particular one is, unfortunately, a 24 volt model. But yeah, a 12V one would just wire in. The hard part would be splicing into all the ECU inputs.

I glanced in the Millenium Training Manual > it looks like a windoze app that you program the micro-processor via GUI > using > a graphic with various dialog boxs, can you also just script those in a > text > editor > kinda the way we used dev simple modem programs using the AT command set ?

Yeah, there's not much to these. They're designed such that a relatively bright heating/air conditioning tech can program them himself rather than having to pay a hardware geek to whip something up in assembly language, like the Bad Old Days. As far as building a Better DigiTool, it sure looks a lot easier than my idea: a hand-built PIC microcontroller based device, designed to be programmed in assembly, or (if you can afford the compiler) in C. The big drawback to that Millennium controller is that it's pretty big and chunky, with a small screen. No real way to dash mount it. I'll probably still entertain the pipe-dream of my home-made design...

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" "We'd tell a monkey how to peel a banana, if he said he was peeling one in a Vanagon."