Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:26:22 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      I took my own advice (camping in NJ)

A few weeks ago I offered to the list free camping here at Van-Again in Southern New Jersey during our beautiful fall season. Unfortunately no one took me up on the offer, but thankfully I actually got to enjoy some SNJ camping myself. My wife actually wanted to go camping over the weekend in our 88 Westy. We didn't want to go far since we were just camping on Friday night and then coming back on Saturday (my Mom was watching three of our four kids for us). So we looked around for a place to camp. There are tons of RV parks in South Jersey, but I soon found that almost all of them closed at or around Oct 31st. There were several State Parks still open but I wanted 110v power so I could run my small electric heater if I needed to. We took our 6 month old with us so you can see why heat was a need. We finally found a park in Mays Landing, NJ (only about 30 mins away) that was still open. It is called Jellystone Park (like the cartoon) and it is part of a chain. I brought my small video screen along, a DVD player and a copy of "Harvey" with Jimmie Stewart.

My wife and I had a good time, although I don't know if I would want to go there again. The quiet time at the camp was not until 11pm at night and we wound up camped next to the playground. This means that we heard kids playing until 11pm and the playground right across the path from us was lit up brighter than daylight.

The electric heater I had worked excellent. It is a small grey unit and has a thermostat on it, and a fan. The fan was almost silent and it kept the bottom floor of the van nice and toasty and even took the edge off of the upper bunk chill. I just wish the State Parks had 110v so that I could have camped there instead (probably a lot quieter).

I hope some of you are getting out and taking advantage of your Westy during this nice Fall weather! Just thought I would share.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242