Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:51:44 -0500
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing the Westy Top and Installing a Temporary Top
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@telus.net>

Hi Jake, I think your 350lb estimate is about right, and $500 for gas is more or less correct one way... I neglected to mention the 2500 miles BACK to Ontario.

Doug is a freind of mine so he knows that 2500 miles is only one way so if Doug is talking round trip $800 to $1000 is pretty close to the mark for gas. But remember its not just a parts run, its a multi week cross county road trip (hopefully hitting MULTIPLE ski hills along the way).

You're right crating would be a nghtmare, I just decided to bite the bullet and make a journey out of it all...

Chris

On 11/10/05, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@telus.net> wrote: > Where are you getting this $800.00 figure for gas Alcock? 2500 miles at > 24mpg equals 104 gallons at what, $2.60 or so? More like $500 for gas, and > the top must be more like 350lbs with the steel roof of the van and all. How > the heck are you going to crate that?! > > Jake > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Doug Alcock" <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:31 AM > Subject: Re: Removing the Westy Top and Installing a Temporary Top > > > Chris --- can't the top be shipped?? Try a long-haul house moving company. > The Adventurewagon top ain't much bigger than a canoe. When I was moving > from Victoria to Toronto the moving company would have moved my canoe for > the same price per pound as the other stuff. What would the top weigh? I'm > guessing 150 pound at a buck or so per pound -- much cheaper than a road > trip. If you're not in a hurry -- they'll wait 'til they have a truck coming > your way from Oregon. You're looking at $800 worth of gas alone. > Cheers, > Doug > > On 11/9/05, Tom Buese <bueses@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: JordanVw@AOL.COM > > Sent: Nov 9, 2005 7:37 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Removing the Westy Top and Installing a Temporary Top > > > > In a message dated 11/9/05 7:53:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, > > bueses@EARTHLINK.NET writes: > > > > > > > How about a poly tarp & duct tape! > > > > > > Tom-no sense in making this more complicated than you need to > > > > > > > thats great.....if youre not moving.. after 300 miles it would be reduced > > to shreds.... > > > > Depends on how you install it. If you stretch it tight/put slats across > > the opening every couple of feet & duct tape it down tightly, I don't > think > > it will flap much? Also put bungee cords across the top outside to further > > keep in place. Or install plexiglass in the opening w/ duct > > tape or gasket material-more expensive. > > > > The key thing is to keep the material from flapping which will > > disintegrate it like Chris says. > > > > Early bus sunroofs were fabric w/ slats that slid back to open the roof. > > > > Sounds like a WGC (wild goose chase) in any event- why not push the low > > tech to the limit?? > > > > Grin, > > > > Tom > > >