Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:57:22 -0500
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing the Westy Top and Installing a Temporary Top
Comments: To: wolfsburg_campers@yahoogroups.com, wetwesties@yahoogroups.com,
          Vanagon-Westfalia@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com, Adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. The plan as it stands now is to drive out to Portland OR, pick up a rental trailer and take the AW top (still attached to the the sawn off steel roof) and drive South on i5 to Medford / Talent OR (near the Orgegon / California border. There I am hooking up with Scott Foss of www.tubovans.com to out the new top on.

I got a lot of really good temporary top suggestions, and I really liked the trailer idea and could have used it for the small inflatable boat I've just purchased as well, but if I take the top back to Ontario with me I'm not only faced with 2500 miles with the new top behind me, but also I have yet another project to do when I get back (and I am the kind of person that lets my van projects pile up and not get done).

Since the purpose of all of this was to get the top ON THE VAN and to USE IT. I decided the best way to do that was do it all in Oregon before I headed back to Ontario. Look for my update in the coming months...

Thanks, Chris

On 11/9/05, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > Has anyone ever removed the top on thier westy and installed a > temporary top in its place? > > I'll be traveling to Oregon in my westy to pick up an Adventurewagen > (AW) top. I had initially thought I would just bring the top back > with me and permanently install it once I was home but I am now toying > with the idea of just installing it once I get out to Oregon. > > The problem of course is that I'd either have to abandon or sell my > westy top in Orgeon or leave it behind before I leave for Oregon. That > is unless I want to drag it back with me which sort of defeats the > purpose - albiet the westy top would be easier to manage than the AW > top. > > If I decide to drive to Oregon without the westy top, I will need > something to protect my interior from the elements for the 2500 mile > trip to Oregon. It does not have to look good or be 100% draft / > waterproof but it does need to be able to make the journey in one > piece and needs to be affordable enough that I can just toss it when I > arrive in Oregon. > > So my question is has anyone ever rdone something like this? Any > suggestions are welcome... > > Chris > > P.S. Sorry if you get this e-mail more than once, I'm cross posting it > across the various vanagon groups I'm on in the hopes of finding > someone who has done this. >