Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:32:33 -0500
From:         Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@WHISPLLC.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon seatbottom foam

Seat foam can be replaced but im my experiance it is best to do 1 of 2 things for the best results. 1) remove and take apart the seat and replace a foam bun from a 7 passenger to a westi seat. It is a bit more tighter but will fit just fine. I did this on my 85 westi. No special tools other then a set of Hog Ring pliers for attaching the seat skin to the wires inbedded in the seat foam. with this change of foam it will also make the welt cord or piping alot straighter and cleaner looking since it will be much tighter. your seat skin must be in good shape to handle the new stress on the skin itself. if not it will start to let go over time. 2) take apart the seat and purchase from a good Upholstery Shop a 1/2" to 1" foam sheet i recommend firm and in 1/2", just purchase a full sheet. you can stack it to make 1" if needed. Please dont buy the cheap junk foam at fabric stores for your work you wont be happy for a long time if your going to be keeping your vw. also purchase a high temp spray glue from same shop. Lay the foam on the seat foam once removed and glue it to both sides (it is a contact type adhesive). glue it with a 1/2" over hang to help buffer the edges. Then Slit the foam after gluing on to get to the wires to hog ring on the cover. a set of generic hog ring pliers with hog rings should cost about 10.00. a good can of auto foam adhesive in a spray can is 11.00 to 16.00 and a full sheet of good quality 1/2" sheet of foam is about 14.00. then of course your labor. 1/2" foam can be cut with a pair of shears or electric turkey knife or electric fillet knife or just a very sharp knife dragged accross it. i do sell all of these items at my shop but my shop is in Michigan and not in your back yard. if anyone is interested i can put together a little fix it kit with the hog ring pliers, 1 can of spray glue and a sheet of foam. of course it would be shipped from Michigan and you would be supporting a list member.

also ive finally gotten a binding i like to make a screen kit for westi canvas that i should have together real soon. thanks Jonce

>> While were on the subject has anyone ever just had an uppulstery shop >> restuff the seat? I know you can get the new fabric from sewfine but they >> don't seem to list any padding. My Seats are in almost perfect shape my >> complaint is really that the butt pad on the drivers side has worn out >> especial on the side where you get in and out. >> Kevin >> >>

>i have seat foam. camper or pass van?

>chris

Jonce Fancher

57 Single Cab 66 Sunroof Bug 66 Variant Squareback 71 Sunroof Bus 75 911S Sunroof 84 Vanagon "Godfried" 85 Vanagon Westi 2003 10 Passenger Sprinter

Fancher's Upholstery Inc. - www.fanchers.com Not-A-VW Club- http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransont3/notavwclub/