Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:16:03 -0800
From:         rpc <populuxe59@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power window switch?

Rob, I am sure a few people on the list have successfully serviced their window switches--Those guys can do anything. My Vanagon is a daily driver ; so when my window switch stopped working I thought I'll clean it up--and while I'm at it I'll clean em all up. Lucky I have AC.

I spent hours removing, testing, disassembling, cleaning, reassembling, not working, retesting, removing, retesting. Discovered the drivers side passenger switch has a direct effect on the passenger side switch and now having to test that side...which one was at fault? Don't know. swapped switches around. Result: Spent 2 weeks on this endeavor. Ruined a newly installed window regulator when switch got stuck in open mode. Nearly went insane trying to figure out these "simple" window switches!! If anyone of you would have been strolling by I would have sold whole van for $200. While my AC worked, it was summer and we were using the van for camping trips. I devised a set of alligator clip wires to power the functioning passenger window.

I ordered 3 NEW switches and the new bezels for the door interior(one of our list vendors). FIXED. Brought my Vanagon back in for another window regulator and windows have been 100% perfect. The money spent on those new switches was well spent. They were a little pricey but the wrecked window regulator cost a LOT more.

I hope I will save you the headache Rob, but if you really want, just stick a small screwdriver between the switch and the housing, where the pins are and it will pry apart. tiny springs and contacts will fly out as the switch comes apart. Just have your alligator clips handy...

Good luck, Chris C. 90MV

Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET> wrote: My passenger side window goes up slow, really really slow and it's getting slower. I took the door apart and put a meter on the switch, good readings in the down position but squat in the up position. Something is not right in the switch.

Has anyone taken the switch apart and cleaned it? It looks like I need to force that pin out and then the rocker will come out.... It would sure be nice if I had some idea of what it looks like inside before I start taking it apart, does anyone know of an on-line picture of the insides? How much force is needed to push the pin out?

Thanks.

Rob becida@comcast.net