Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:37:30 -0600
From:         Scott Corey <scott@BSDPROPHET.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Oil Filter Magnets
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

I can say that we do use them on EVERY Jet engine that I have seen in the past 27 years of being a A&P mechanic. Not only in the engine oil supply, but also in the transmission oil supply, starter oil supply, etc... We service them about every six months on commercial Airlines. Send an oil sample to a Laboratory, and scrap off any accumulation on the "chip detector" plug and see how "dirty" it was. They send us back a report of the actual percentage of metal content suspended in the oil. High Stainless Steel content, bearings are wearing fast, etc... So.. if you want to know what is actually wearing inside the engine, have a Lab do an oil analysis.

On their effectiveness on "removing nasy metal bits" in your oil, I would not count on it, isn't that what the filter is for anyway.

Scott

P.S.

On piston powered aircraft, we always cut open the oil filter and take a look at the stuff caught in the element.

P.S.S

And it is damn hard to find "Aluminum magnets" anyway. ;-)

Christopher Gronski wrote:

>Anyone had any experience with these? The idea is that they increase >the filter's effectiveness at removing nasy metal bits from your oil. >Anyone using them on a vanagon? What vendor and what size for the 2.1L >filter? > >Chris > > > >

-- Those who admire the massive, rigid bone structures of dinosaurs should remember that jellyfish still enjoy their very secure ecological niche.