Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:54:55 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: serial hybrid conversion?

Bear in mind, however, that electric cars have poteitially huge power outputs, so the generator would have to be able to keep up with this simultaneously with lights, wipers, stereo, windows etc.

>I'm thinking a good charging motor might integrate the biggest part of >the power generation hardware into the design rather than driving a >belt/chain or shaft to an alternator/generator.

The engine could have an integral motor (a generator is a motor, after all). The Aussies, back in the 80s, built an electric car using a printed-circuit motor, with regenerative capability; the advantages of these are repairability, lightness and lack of inertia. Such a motor could be used to drive or generate power. If I remember correctly, these motors can be extremely short and very wide/ of couyrse width increases torque output (by increasing mechanical leverage).

>...some sort of turbine? burning biodiesel or any suitable fuel?

Turbines are not really suited for automotive use. Heat and deling with the exhaust are major problems, apart from any other reason... it may also be that very small gas-turbiones can't compete in the power/torque stakes with Otto or Wankel engines (not sure on this one).

>as mentioned in my previous mail, some of the efficiency gain is from >removing the existing drive train....because you lose some power in the >transmission/trans axle/differential of a traditional car.

Using a current driveline is of practical use in conversions only, really.

>Putting >smaller high torque motors on 2 or 4 wheels increases efficiency and >could allow for kinetic recovery.

Indeed, very true. There remains the problem of ensuring that all wheels get just the right amount of torque at any instant, but modern technologies should be able to cope just fine. Also, with coputer control, the torque applied to any wheel could be adjusted constantly to maximize drive and alter handling characteristics; there could also be switchable programs so that the driver can choose between maximum dry or wet grip, oversteer, understeer, gravel, ice etc. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut

HUMANITY: THE ULTIMATE VON NEUMANN MACHINE

DEMOCRACY: RULE BY THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR