Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:39:44 -0500
From:         Jim Henry <jhenry@JCHGIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Marvel Mystery Oil
Comments: To: David Prendergast <dprendergast@TRIAD.RR.COM>

David, I use MMO a lot, both in the Vanagon and the RX-7s. If my lifters are not making any noise, I will add up to quart for the last time I have to top up the oil before I change it. And then change it in a few hundred miles or so. If the lifters are making any noise, I add a pint or so at that time and they usually quiet down within a couple minutes. Also, I only add 4 quarts (Castrol 20-50) when I change the oil, it seems to foam and even leak if I fill to the full mark (4.7 quarts?) I add a pint to the gas in the RX7s at fill ups but that is a rotary thing. I add Techron in the vanagon fuel, a large bottle every 3000 - 5000 miles. Makes those fuel injectors happy.

So there you have all my vanagon secrets, except that I just found a great front end shop here in the Triangle. A place called the "Digital Chassis." It is on US 70 near the 751 exit off I-85. The fellow is a former techie who now seems to specialize in Exotic German Touring Machines, my vanagon included, but it seemed a little nervous surrounded by all those cars that go by numbers, like 911, 928,944, 740, 325, and such. He set up the alignment front and back, told me which pieces that I needed to replace, offered to replace them when I get the parts if I do not have time, and charged me less than a standard alignment at Firestone, which has never been right. I need to look after these new Continental tires.

May try to get to the Thanksgiving Misgivings on Friday night at Hagen-Stone, if I can. Schedule is a little tight, but "Sometimes you just have to camp." See you there?

Jim Henry Durham, NC 84 Westy