Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:39:05 -0600
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Top Speed

Howdy All,

As some of you may know, I recently relocated from Austin, Texas to Seattle, Washington. Unfortunately, this was largely due to divorce.

However, I had a wonderful opportunity for reflection, introspection, and even some fun on my cross-country drive in my Vanagon from Austin to Seattle (trip report to come shortly).

Now for the irresponsible part. I know that this is a very politically incorrect topic, but what the heck? Out of curiosity, what is the top speed you have been able to achieve in your Vanagons?

Please respond with speed and type of engine configuration you achieved that speed with. Also indicate if you were driving a passenger van, camper version, or Syncro. I'm interested in everything from the early air-cooled motors, all the way up to the crazy engine conversions. While I'm mostly interested in speed achieved on flat roads it might be interesting to see what a Vanagon can do on a seriously steep downhill stretch.

For me, I have an '87 hard-top passenger GL. My engine is a 3.2 liter Porsche 911 Carrera motor and Porsche G50 5-speed. The Vanagon is equipped with Bilstein shocks and H&R lowering springs. I have no spare tire or tire carrier up front, so that probably hurt aerodynamics a bit. I had the van loaded (but by no means overloaded) as I moved cross-country. I was using my new Garmin c340 GPS (highly recommended) unit as an honest measure because the speedo just isn't accurate over 100 (I've even had my speedo calibrated to the Porsche wheel/tire combination I am running).

In Arizona on a cool, sunny morning I was able to achieve an honest GPS verified 125 mph. This was done on flat, straight pavement with excellent visibility. That speed was done in 4th gear. I discovered that 5th gear is strictly for economy. The van would always go faster in 4th than it would in 5th.

Later in Washington I tired another couple high speed runs, but I had some aerodynamic issues (see upcoming trip report). During the Washington runs the best I got was 115 mph. I can easily believe that my aerodynamic issues cost me at least 5 mph. Who knows where the last 5 mph when?

Anyhow, let's hear from ya'll. How fast? What configuration? Bring it on.

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce@hotmail.com