Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:57:19 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sound Deadening a Vanagon

I did this to my vanagon, and was mostly disappointed. The single most importiant sound deadening proceedure that you can do is to buy quiet tires. Without these, any efforts at insulating the walls and floors will fall short of your most limited expectations.I mean tires pumped up to 48psi are hard rubber sound transmiters.15 inch tires at 35 psi are the standard that most people had in previous vehicles and the standard which the measure and success.

I put in 200sq ft of r-blox sound deadening,50 sq ft of under carpet sound deadening from a Dodge caravan.1/2 inch thick neopreen foam rubber 4ftX9 ft on the pop top,same on the radiater fan schroud,all the inner door pannels and side pannels with 1/2 inch foam rubber under fabric,spray sound deadening in front doors and else where,a/c cabinet sund proofed w/b-quiet extreem, blah blah blah. Little effect on sound deadening did all this stuff have.

I would spend my time and money on qqquuuuiiieeetttt tires,and 15 inch wheels so you dont have to inflate them over 35 or so psi. Search Larry chases tire chart for the quietest tires avaliable and then if you have any money leftover , buy whatever you want for sound proofing. You will like whatever you then buy..