Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:33:56 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      mushy brakes due to shop's error
Comments: To: "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Recently I put 15" wheels and big tires on my passenger 87 Syncro. After doing so I noticed that the brakes were not quite up to snuff. They stopped fine unless I was going down a steep hill or had a heavy load. Then they were a little soft and needed a quick pump to fully function. First I replaced the front rotors and pads. Better but not as good as they should be. Then I took the drums off so I could replace the rear shoes and turn the drums. The shoes were fine and the drums had only a slight lip from wear. Finally, I spotted the real problem. On the driver's side the brake return springs were reversed. This causes one of the springs to rub hard against the adjuster and keeps the self adjusting brakes from adjusting at all on that side. The shoes on that side were too far out of adjustment to do much work unless the brake pedal was pumped first. Once I fixed this and tightened up the rear brakes, all was well. Now the brakes are firm on the first pump and the stopping power is much better.

When I purchased this 87 a couple years ago the seller showed me a receipt from a very recent complete brake job $$$. The brakes worked great at that time and for a long time after. The gradual deterioration was hardly perceptible until the big tires. The 2 brake shoe springs are not obviously different and once in place they are hidden behind the adjuster. When they are reversed part of one of them sits too high and rides in one of the notches of the star adjuster. I have seen this error before and even made it myself. It is easy to detect when working on the brakes since the misplaced spring keeps the adjuster from turning as freely as it should.

If you have brakes that have gotten mushy over time you might want to check for this error.

Mark