Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:38:34 +1000
From:         David Yates <dyates1@BIGPOND.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: changing auto transmission

Hi Al,

Greetings from downunder.

Raise the car, put blocks under the wheels, raise it again until the wheels are about 9-10" off the ground. FIX the car in that position (so it doesn't drop on your head. I usually use large lumps of wood so the car is not actually jacked up, rather it is sitting on its feet. DO chock the front wheels carefully as you will need to turn the rear wheels.

I use two jacks and plank of 6-12" wide and 4 ft long, maybe 10 2 foot lengths of cut up broom handle.

I believe it is easiest to remove engine, differential and auto box all in one piece.

Disconnect all the cables, fuel line etc from engine Disconnect the throttle cable from the Auto trans Disconnect the earth strap from the rear of the auto trans. Disconnect the throttle cable/rod from the engine. Disconnect vacuum line Disconnect the CV joints from the differential and tie them up out of the way. (You may wish to do this before jacking up as it is easiest to do the CV joints when you can turn a wheel.) Disconnect the starter motor wiring. Is yours water cooled? Guess what? You'll have to deal with that too. I THINK that's it for preparation.

It CAN be helpful to put a chain under the engine and secure it round a pipe or something else that crosses the width of the engine bay. (Put cloth under the pipe to protect the paintwork I prefer a rope as it is less likely to cause trouble AND can be adjusted more easily. I tie it up against the engine with a knot(s) by which I can eventually lower the assembly. (Nylon rope can be slid more readily, but does stretch.)

Arrange scissor jacks under sump (piece of wood to spread the load) and under the front end of the auto trans. Jack it up very slightly to take any load off the bolts you will undo.

Then undo the bolts holding the engine cross member to the chassis rails. The jack holts the engine up . . though so does the rope.

Undo the one transverse bolt through the A/T front mount. Jack up the trans ever so slightly to allow the bolt to be pulled out of the fixture.

(From here on, every now and again check that there are no cables, pipes etc etc fouling the assembly as you lower it.)

Probably easiest to have two people from here, but not necessary.

Lower the jack under the trans to allow the trans to fall a little.

Do the same for the jack under the engine . . maybe loosening the rope to lower the engine a little. (I always feel safest with the two supports). When you have eased both ends down a bit, you will be able to remove the engine jack and have the engine end held by the rope. Lower both ends bit by bit so YOU remain in control. When the engine is close to the ground, put the broom handle pieces on the floor in a line and lay the plank on it, as far forward as possible. Lower the whole lot onto the plank. The roll the assembly rearwards.

That should be it.

Jacking the car up earlier gives clearance for the engine to move backwards.

I hope this helps and is detailed enough . . sorry, I have to fly. I'm sure others will tell you the bits I have omitted.

Do NOT be nervous. I have worked on many cars and couldn't believe just how easy the Vanagon is in comparison with every other from which I have removed engines, gearboxes etc!

All the best, David

Brisbane, downunder.