Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:42:18 -0800
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel filter and gas tank questions

Could it be coming from your filler cap? If you have one of the OEM style locking caps, there is the potential for all sorts of trouble if the little flap on the key slot misbehaves, and allows water into the lock and seal areas. There is a spring, a seal, and all the lock foolishness that does not like water in it. And, since the cap is at the top of the filler neck, the condensation gets trapped up there, to do its part in messing up the cap, too. The steel end on the filler neck might not be helping any either...

Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> wrote:Get this; The filter was cut open ,and rust flakes came out. About 1 ounce of flakes in the filter case, and more in the actual filter element! The rust flakes were actual flakes of rust according to the magnet.Thats all there was-rust flakes. The flakes were thicker than(much thicker) the gas tank metal.I know how iorn will swell up and flake when corroding,but this stuff is so much thicker than any gas tank metal. Sheet metal rust is much smaller pariticals.Its like this stuff came from a stair hand rail that hasent seen paint for 20 years, or something.Big flakes!Then there is the red mud.I added a post 85, second filter today.The kind that is installed after the pump on the high pressure side. The poor little overwhelmed low pressure filter was causing some noise, but not nearly enough to corrospond to the amount of crud inside. I think some flake material got pasted and may have made it to the injectors(plugged up city!). That is why I added a filter.I stored fuel in the tank of my parts van recently, and used it cause of the gas crisis(1 month). The parts van had this rust too in the filter.That filter was used for about 10 gallons of gas when that engine ran.None of this rusty mud came out when I transfered the gas to my running van,I remember.I checked the gas can that I used for the transfer-no rust particles inside.I put about 10 little magnets inside my gas tank to attract these flakes so they dont clog up the sock and all.Just dumped them in the filler.I heard the splash and down they went to the bottom.I guess I have repeated filter changes in my future.Where did this rust come from? I think I know a way to wreck a vanagon.

Flaky rust

87 rust out 82 rust bucket 89 rusty jones 72 rusty seems (for sale)

Evan Mac Donald

1984 Wolfburg 1985 GL 7 Pass. 1991 Carat Weekender 1972 Chevy P/U 1993 Bonneville