Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:57:47 +1000
From:         David Yates <dyates1@BIGPOND.NET.AU>
Subject:      Automatic transmission questions

Hi folks,

I have an '82 Automatic Vanagon (now with a Subaru EJ22). I replaced the auto trans after a while with an '86 Vanagon transmission and looked after cooling the ATF.

I now need to rebuild the '86 transmission. It is a 090 series, but the original was an 010 series (in the air-cooled Vanagon it didn't have the ATF cooler).

In my Bentley, the only auto trans referred to is an 090 series, for all Vanagons. The 010 is not there, yet this is what is marked on the casing on the original from my air-cooled Vanagon.

In the 'Chilton's Guide to Automatic transmission Repairs: 1980-86 Import Cars and Light Trucks" reference is made to the 010 series transmissions but nowhere does it actually say what vehicles it was for.

I also have a parts list from elsewhere that refers to 010 series as "78-up" but also refers to the 090 series as "'78 up". The same document refers to the 010 as being in the "Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta, VW pickup (what is that?), Fiat Strada, Golf, Corrado, Cabriolet".

Does anyone know anything about the 010 being in the Vanagon?

I guess my main question is whether the Forward clutch and Direct/Reverse clutch assemblies are the same in the 010 and 090 transmissions. I'd like to know before I disable my vehicle. It would be good to be able to preassemble parts based on my original transmission before I get the present trans out of the vehicle.

Any useful comments appreciated.

Dave