Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:35:21 -0500
From:         robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Hello All, I am back after my fiery blaze.. Have some questions...

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to say hi, and ask some questions...

You might remember me, I am the guy who lost his Orly Blue Carat a couple years ago... in December in an engine fire next to Rockefeller plaza in NYC. http://homepage.mac.com/rmstewart

Well, I am looking at a van in Upstate NY, Buffalo area and have some questions and wanted your valued opinion.

The owner is not computer savvy at all, very old school, nice guy. He had a friend shoot some shots of the van, not great and are missing the dented fender but take a look and give your feedback please. The page title is 88 Wolfsburg. The Van has a small fender dent (not shown), some minor seam rust and is missing a small piece of plastic molding. (not shown) http://homepage.mac.com/rmstewart/PhotoAlbum95.html

Where I am in the examination of this van, spoke to the owner & previous owner and got the details on the van listed below, this week I am having the van brought to a different mechanic who knows Vanagons and I am having them take a detailed look at it to get their feedback. Across the street is collision repair shop that I was thinking of asking what the cost would be to repair the fender. The rust I figured I would attack myself with a grinding wheel/wire brush wheel, and some POR-15, then have it repainted. I did a carfax report and appears clean as a whistle. I am just interested to hear your thoughts if itšs worth what hešs asking.... Not sure what a fender fix should cost, nor am I aware of what it might cost if I have some else repair the rust, or do the paint repair, any ideas?

First herešs the facts on the van the good, bad and the ugly....

1988 Volkswagon Vanagon - Wolfsburg $2500

Online Description: "1988 VW Vanagon Wolfburg van, PD, PS, PW, air, AT, rebuilt engine, lots of new parts, 25MPG, runs great, $2500 (did say $2300 but it was changed*** /BO" - The owner told me on the phone after our 4th conversation that the price listed was incorrect and it was not $2300 but was $2500, this did not sit well with me, told it was an online posting error from Autotrader Magazine.*

He Revised Ad: and changed the price "$2500"

Info. From Conversations on the phone: Miles: 211,000 Body Rebuilt Engine: @ 175,000 Rebuilt Transmission shortly after.

New or Replaced Parts: New Shocks Rebuilt Transmission & Engine New Wires New Tires New Fuel Pump New Master Cylinder, Brake pads & Rotors, Fuel Lines, Brake Lines, New Cylinder Heads 3yrs ago*

Bad: Some seam rust on drivers door and passenger side rear tire panel. (2) Small 4" long 1/8˛ wide rust seams) Minor rust on drivers front wheel well. Some dings and dents on body. The dent on passenger side is in the front fender, its small, he said can be pulled easily. (for some reason I doubt this) Cruise control does not work, disconnected.* Small Rust hole in Rocker Panel.* It is missing the very small passenger side plastic molding under the passenger seat.

Needs: New Exhaust in the Future, fine for now, passes NYS inspection.

Good: No Coolant, Gasket or Oil Leaks Ac & Heat Good Currently Inspected and Registered (daily driver, and long distances - Virginia) New Paint Job in the last couple of years. Spare tire good with jack and manuals. Carpets clean.

Interior: Good Condition No burn holes

Extras: Window Curtains

Owner history: Past owners were VW Mechanics. Came from Rochester NY.

Maintenance Notes: Oil Changed frequently - 5W/40 Radiator Flushed when first purchased.

Mechanics who worked on Vehicle: Martins Motor Work: Previous Owner 716.826.6777 - 2036 S.Park Ave, Buffalo NY 14220 Put in rebuilt transmission.

When he owned it he: 1yr ago. for 6 years. He Put in: New Shocks, New Brakes, New Master Cylinder, Brake pads & Rotors, Fuel Lines, Brake Lines, New Cylinder Heads 3yrs ago, 2 previous owner, both mechanics. Bad: He said it is missing passenger side small plastic. Said it was a solid van. Rust: Said it needed to be sand blasted, & repainted.