Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:17:13 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Look Ma, no (gas) smell!
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com

Well, it's another one of those perennial subjects, but I have just finished R&R'ing the gas tank on my '88 Westy (54K), and thought I would add a few comments to go with the "how-to's and hints" already out there. It isn't as easy as some make it sound. It's more like uncomfortable and frustrating, but do-able by anyone with average abilities. Those 'Y' fittings on top of the tank don't just "pop out" after 17 years. I finally got the one on the right side out and used a long 1"x2" to lever out the vent tube for the filler neck. Of course, you could also break it. The left side is a different story if you have A/C, because the hoses block access. I unbolted the clamp holding them in place and was able to move one enough to get my hand in. Then I discovered that was where the leak was. The 'Y' was severed where it connects to the crossover tube (hence, gas spillage on fill-up) so I just disconnected the lines at the expansion tanks, pushed them in over the top of the tank and lowered it. The grommets, seals and lines were all in good shape, but since I had them in the kit, I replaced them all. Unfortunately, all 20 of the hose clamps in the kit were the wrong size, so off to our new Home Depot for 2 packs of #4 hose clamps. I taped the ends of all hoses under the clamps. The tank itself was in good shape, but I cleaned it up a little and spray-painted the top silver, and the bottom with Mar-Hide undercoating. The fuel filter had never been replaced, so this was also done. There were a lot of crimped-on clamps to be removed, so have some good diagonal pliers or other cutting tool. You need leverage. On some of them you can use linesman pliers. Or a good crimping tool with cutters on the end, borrowed from your neighbor.

Like a lot of these jobs, once you get into it, you will see what you are up against. And now I can look forward to doing the same thing on my '90 Westy, which was done years ago, but is again giving a slight fuel smell after fill-up.

With all of the abilities and ingenuity on this list, someone surely can come up with a better arrangement than that plastic crossover tube and two 'Y's. And cheaper than $40.00. Jerry