Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:32:57 -0800
From:         Jon Brown <jbrown510@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Chains for Syncro
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

I too have 15" Agilis'. I wouldn't trust them in real snow and I would recomend cable chains over link-chains, as the clearence to the rear trailing arms is very tight. Best to get chances that are rated for limited clearance.

Last winter I drove through a bit of snow on my way home from Colorado on my Agilis' and while I carreid chains I never used them. I went through a couple areas that where they were requireing tractor trailers to chain up in eastern Utah, but never passenger vehicles. A lot of 2wd passenger vehicles were putting on changes anyway. Regardless, with 4x4 and the good sense to slow down you'll rarely if ever "need" chains on a major interstate. That said, you "might" be required to at least carry a set during bad weather. Local roads are a different story, in which case you might legitamately NEED chains on steep and icy local roads which are not regulalry plowed and are likely steeper than anything you'll see on the interstates.

One last thought, if you drive through areas that salt thier roads, be sure to wash it off when you get the chance including a through washing of the underside of your van.

-Jon