Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:37:52 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Title again please (PM)
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca>

Ben The format and layout of a vehicle title varies from State to State, each with it's own format. But the basic info will be the same: VIN Number of the vehicle and some additional identifying information Name of the 'Legal Owner' Name of any Lien Holders (if any) A place for the Owner to sign the Title over to a new Owner

The Registration should match on all points, name, VIN, etc.

The Title might carry a name different from the seller BUT in that case the sellers name should appear on the title in the place used to sign the Title over to a new Owner. Most jurisdictions have a requirement that a new owner transfer Title and Registration withing a certain number of days and that is usually short, like 10 days. But it is not unusual for someone buying to resell to not transfer Title until selling it themselves.

I'd be very puzzled by a couple of things you describe. First, the date 19/09/81. I'm not aware of ANY jurisdiction in the US that would use the day/month/year format for a date, only the month/day/year format. The other dates don't make sense either.

I'd insist on the following: A copy of the Title with ALL information clearly visible A copy of the Registration with all information clearly visible Then I'd want to see that the name on the Title matched the Registration and matched the name of the seller OR that the Title had been signed over to the seller.

Others will have more input to this I'm sure.