Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:48:28 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help!  No Seat Belts!
Comments: To: sartin@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 11/29/2005 8:07:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, sartin@GMAIL.COM writes:

Seeing as I have three kids and a wife, I really need more seat belts!

OK, more seriously, here's my advice. And mind you I tend to err on the side of caution.

I'd be careful about retro fitting seatbelts from a different vehicle such as a Volvo into your Vanagon for two reasons, both equally important in my opinion. Because you don't have the luxury of real world testing of the seat belt retrofit the outcome could be tragic. The time you'd find out if the seat belts worked properly would be in the event of a collision. Finding out they didn't work as you hoped--tragic. (I suppose lap belts wouldn't pose an issue because the mechanics are simple. And I understand the "locking mechanism" in a shoulder belt could be universal, I wouldn't want to be the guy who waited for the real world test to find out.)

The next thing, and equally important in my opinion, is in the event of a collision involving passenger injury it is likely your insurance company would not accept liability for the injured passenger because, they would say, you did not notify them that the safety features of the vehicle were modified. This obviously if they found out seat belts from a different manufacturer were installed. And that's why they have inspectors. And of course if you DO notify them they will not insure the vehicle. Insurance companies love not to pay.

In short, for a relatively small amount of money when compaired to what you pay in insurance and the value of the lives you're potentially protecting, I would go with genuine VW seat belts. And, I dare say, I would go with brand new belts. I think it cost me about $200-$300 to replace my front 3-point belts and buckles when the buckles failed. The old style buckles (1983) I had weren't available so an upgrade (later 80s) was in order unless I wanted to install used parts. And really with what's at stake, why do I want to save a few dollars by buying a used part with unknown history if the downside of the gamble is a lifetime of guilt.

That's my two cents.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA