Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:34:24 -0500
From:         robertmstewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Buffalo Mechanics?

Hey everyone,

On my continuing search for another late model auto/weekender Vanagon let me first say thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions.

I had the 88 Wolfy taken to a mechanicıs shop in outside of Buffalo NY, United Imports to have it inspected (used car)...well the guy who checked it out could not understand the idea of being out of state and having a used car checked and telling someone over the phone what was wrong with it. The man just could not grasp the concept. To top of it off he told me he did not have a computer and felt weird telling me about the van! I could not care about the fact he did not have a computer. Anyway...

He said he drove it, put on a lift, checked it out and said it drove very well, and mechanically it was a good van. I asked so whatıs wrong with it? He told the parking brake line will need to be replaced soon, that was it. I asked how much he said $200-$500.

Then the man told he was not going to charge me for inspection, then he said he did not want to get involved. I said what do you mean? I am hiring you to provide an honest unbiased mechanical review of the vehicle.

He then said, I donıt like doing it like this. He then said ³..I feel so strange talking to you over the phone, most of the time the person looking to buy the vehicle is right here in front of me². Then he got weirded out and I sensed it so I said good bye and thanks.

I called back and spoke the manager, Jim, told him the story and he said heıs and old guy 50 years in the business, heıs just not used to it. I asked him, did you see the van Jim?, he said yes. I asked whatıs the deal? He told me the van is in good shape and runs well, the bad was the parking brake and that there is seam rust but it was just surface level and easily repairable. He also said the passenger side front fender was slightly dented but could be pulled.

I then told him, I felt like he put me in a strange place, like I did not get the full level of answers I needed to know if purchasing the van is a good idea. He said I know and sorry. I told him who the previous owner was, a known VW Mechanic in Buffalo, Martin of Martins Motor Works and the told me he does excellent work, and if he owned it then itıs probably in very good shape. He then suggested I take it back to him to give a once over.

I am now thinking of this or hiring someone totally different, or sending a used auto inspector to the owners home.

Now Your thoughts? All are appreciated. Thanks again in advance. Rob

PS. Anyone know of good Vw mechanics in or near Buffalo NY?