Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:29:04 -0800
From:         Alan Cady <acercflyer@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: CHEAP PARTS! Used 1.9L WATERBOXER PISTONS & CYLINDERS,
              and  New  RING Set (same motor)

MIKE,

I did not explaine this well enough. So sorry everyone. The reason I am even sharing this with all is to share my parts shortage story and offer an alternative to one that may been in a similar situation that I found myself in.

The 3 Pistons, and Cylinders I have, are the ones that came out of my original german factory 1.9 L waterboxer engine.

They are completely reusable. The ring slots have been cleaned and they are ready to install in a rebuild.

There was the Fourth piston that had a broken place around the oil scraper part of the piston, it was NOT reusable.

This is why I had to purchase the complete 4 pistons and 4 cylinders set. ***Of which I used all 4 of these new ones in my rebuild.***

I tried in vain to find a single piston and cylinder but could not procure one.

Not even the many junk yards I contacted over a 2 week period would send me a single piston cylinder, to replace my defective one.

I did find a nice dealer in Great Falls, Montana. ( "Pierce’s Super Store") It’s a local VW Dealer that would sell me one piston and one cylinder for $800.00 + dollars, this single set came without kiss or any anal lubricant so, I declined.

I had already purchased the set of ( German standard) rings that I still have (new in unopened boxs) for the Original, factory, German, pistons from my 1985 1.9 L Vanagon.

These rings became obsolete to my endevour, due to the complete set of 4 pistons and 4 cylinders ( German Standard) Bob ( my hero) from (www.BostonEngine.Com) sent me. His set had all the hardwear; rings, rist pins, etc...already installed in each piston/cylinder box (of 4).

I hope this email better explaines what I have a little better. If you have any questions or need to contact me. I’m at: AceRCflyer@yahoo.com or (406)-278-9183 Good luck on your rebuilds, I have enjoyed my rebuild process and look forward to many more years of service out of my special 85 Vanagon!

Anyone that might have an extra tan drivers door panel, Would be in a position to sell me this, because I need one bad… Happy vanning…………………………………….

Best Regards from; Al Cady, in Conrad, Montana

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Personals Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet. Lots of someones, actually. Yahoo! Personals