Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:15:22 -0800
From:         al sinclair <alvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: transmission change: how to turn a/c engine to get at bolts???

thanks all

i discovered what the hole-obstructing thingy is -- it's part of the EGR, a special 1981-only California-only part, so far as I can tell. It comes off with a 10mm wrench (not box) and an Allen key.

Now off to try to turn the motor -- thanks all for ideas.

One more thing though -- the engine has covers all round, so do they all have to come off to get a chain round the engine? (and round a 2x4 above the engine bay, for support)

Al

On 12/3/05, TJ Hannink <tjhannink@yahoo.com> wrote: > > I use a large crescent wrench on the alternator pulley bolt. Push down on > top of the belt when it starts to slip. > > Good luck, > > Tim > > *al sinclair <alvanagon@GMAIL.COM>* wrote: > > how do I turn the crankshaft to access the torque converter bolts? Bentley > says to use adaptor 3052 with extension and T handle -- one of which I > have > > also, there's a thing on my engine that isn't shown or mentioned in > Bentley, which obstructs the hole in the top of the transmission housing. > It's mounted on the black part of the intake air distributor, and has a > aprox 1cm dia metal tube going through the front cover plate; it also has > a > rod connecting it to the throttle assembly. In the Bentley pic 38-394 on > page 37.4 it would show just above the woven tube part of the air > distributor. > > any ideas please reply asap -- I've rented a tranny jack, but can't get > working because I can't turn the engine to get at the bolts. > > thanks! > Alan > > > > > TJ Hannink > Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition > 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 > Winter Park, Florida > http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Etjhannink/> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FC_wanderlodge > FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eclubvanagon> > > ------------------------------ > *Yahoo! Personals* > Let fate take it's course directly to your email. > See who's waiting for you Yahoo! Personals<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=36106/*http://personals.yahoo.com+%0D%0A> >