Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:31:55 -0500
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: transmission change: how to turn a/c engine to get at bolts???

No need to remove the engine tin to pull the tranny. You can support just the rear of the engine (flywheel end). The other end will be held by the crossmember.

Bolt your chain to the horizontal hole just above the case split on the very top rear of the engine. (see page 13.6 of Bentley for a photo) If your 81 was like mine you should also remove the rod from the throttle body to the EGR valve for more chain clearance.

I used a 4x4 but a 2x4 would probably work, I just feel better with a 4x4.

Tip, put a few boards under the 4x4 before tightening the chain. That way, if you want to lower the rear of the engine a few inches to make tranny removal/install easier you can just remove/add the boards one by one. (use another 2x4 as a pry-bar against the engine deck to get the boards in and out. Hopefully you have a helper to make it easier).