Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Dec 2005 13:45:37 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Van won't start with strong gas smell...
Comments: To: Jim Quan <full360@GMAIL.COM>

FIRST - do not attempt to start the engine!!!!! You do not want any arc-n-spark in that engine area until you know what the problem is and have fixed it!

Second - Get a sizable fire extinguisher out and sit it by the rear of the van.

Third - open the engine hatch so you can clearly see inside.

Fourth - with you at the rear, by the hatch, fire extinguisher within reach, have the wife or friend turn the ignition key to the point that the fuel pump turns on and pressurizes the fuel system - but not so far as to to engage the starter to start the engine. You DO NOT want any kind of arc-n-spark happening back there until you can determine what is going on and have fixed the problem. Gas fumes can ignite with the smallest of sparks

If fuel starts running out onto the ground you can probably very quickly tell where it is coming from. Immdediately turn the ignition key to "OFF", allow the area to ventilate well, and then fix the problem.

If you still smell the fuel, but have no visible signs on the ground, then you have something other than a fuel line leak to contend with.

If the fuel lines have not been renewed within the last 5 years, I would strongly suggest that you do so, regardless of what is causing this little problem. All air cooled VW vehicles, and all Vanagons, have a notorious history of burning up due to engine fires, and in nearly every case the fire is fuel hose related. Take no chances!!! Also, when changing out the fuel hoses, change the small FI lines as well. If they are old, they too are subject ot failure.

The fuel lines and injector lines change is not difficult, just a bit time consuming. Just make it a Saturday or Sunday afternoon project. Materials cost will be in the Neighborhood of $70 if you provide the labor. And that includes new fuel lines, injector lines, hose clamps, and injector seals. Small price to pay for peace of mind!!!

After dealing with your fuel hose issues, scrutinze your coolant hoses, to avoid future problems there as well, that could result in the loss of the engine.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver - BTDT - fuel and water!

regards,

John Rodgers