Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:27:21 -0700
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: westy question
Comments: To: dr.s.kennedy@cox.net
              Stephen Kennedy on Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:20:49 -0800)

I'm forwarding this to the vanagon list. Others there may have more insights.

Other than the radiator you mention some, possible reasons for hot running diesel:

1. Air bubbles in cooling system. Bleed carefully. Check for air at radiator bleed nipple.

2. Substandard waterpump. There are several aftermarket ones. The better ones have a cast metal impeller. Some very cheap ones have a pressed steel impeller. Newer VW oem have a solid looking heavy plastic impeller. Nowdays I don't take the risk, but use either the VW or at least the cast impeller type.

3. Belt routing. Best routing is 2 belts: motor -> waterpump -> alternator. Some shops put in one belt for both pump and alt. That gives very little contact for pulleys and risk of slip.

4. Gasket between waterpump and housing. Old style is standard gasket paper. Newer style is a thin aluminum plate with o-ring like rubber fastned to it. Newer style gasket combined with old housing would increase the housing to pump gap. (And thus possibly reducing flow)

5. Restrictive exhaust. Particularly noticable if you put in a more powerful engine (e.g. 1.9l and/or turbo) and keep the original restricitove 1.6l exhaust system.

Exactly what engine do you have now?

Good luck, Martin

From: Stephen Kennedy <dr.s.kennedy@cox.net> Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:20:49 -0800

Howdy. I have a 1982 diesel vanagon camper. About three years ago the engine blew, and I had a new VW Passat diesel put in. It's wonderful in many ways, although the HP isn't much greater. But the big problem is overheating. I've had the radiator reamed out, to little avail. Now, before I put a lot of cash into a new radiator, I need to know whether these engines typically have such problems. Otherwise, I might sadly put it on the block. I live in So Cal, and I need to be able to sit on freeways once in a while. So my question is: do people with diesels typically have difficulties with overheating.

Thanks for your insight.

Steve Kennedy