Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Dec 2005 06:43:44 -0500
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transporting extra gasoline on/in a Westy Vanagon
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com>

Hi Jeff, I am assuiming the warnings are universal but they may not be. They do appear at gas stations in Ontario where I am from.

A charge of electricity builds up in gasoline as it flows through the pipe into the container. The container needs to be grounded or there is no way for the electrical charge to escape.

As for grounding my self explanation was that cars are grounded during the filling process as the nozzle is metal and so is the ring on the filler neck of your vehicle. The same would apply to boats with internal gas tanks. As for portable tanks in boats, I know mine has a metal fitting that the fuel flows through and that goes to a hose and the engine (which grounds to the water). So by extension the hose should be connected to the engine and the engine should be in the water during a fill.

As for an airplane, when my dad gets his plane filled its from a truck (on tires) to his plane (on tires) so I imagine the grounding strap is again to avoid static discharge.

Chris

P.S. Check out what these guys had to say: http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

Do you know how to use a portable fuel container safely?

It's a task that must always be done with safety in mind, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the American Petroleum Institute and other safety and fuel experts. "Gasoline fumes are volatile. Static electricity can create a spark that could cause a fire if it's near gasoline fumes," said Commissioner Harold Hairston of the Philadelphia Fire Department. He is a past chairman of the Metropolitan Fire Chiefs Association.

"Even many safety conscious people may not be aware of the proper way to fill a portable fuel container," Hairston said.

"Grounding is essential to avoid any build-up of static electricity that could pose a risk," Hairston said.

Grounding, simply put, provides a path for an electric current to discharge safely -- the electricity is dissipated in the ground, when a portable fuel container is grounded.

"Every time you pump gasoline, a charge of electricity builds up on gasoline as it flows through a pipe or hose and this charge takes several seconds to several minutes to dissipate after the gasoline has reached the tank or container," explains Bob Renkes, executive director of the Petroleum Equipment Institute. "That risk is avoided when you pump gasoline into your car, because both the gasoline dispenser and the vehicle are grounded.

"But a portable fuel container may not be grounded. For safety, you need to place the container on the ground and fill it on the ground," he said. "Placing the container on the ground makes it easier for the electrical charge to escape."

"To help avoid risks, follow safety procedures every time you use a portable fuel container. Don't take any chances," Hairston said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ P.P.S. This is from the Petroleum Equipment Institute: http://www.pei.org/news/static.htm#guidelines

PORTABLE CONTAINERS

- When dispensing gasoline into a container, use only an approved portable container and place it on the ground to avoid a possible static electricity ignition of fuel vapors. Containers should never be filled while inside a vehicle or its trunk, the bed of a pickup truck or the floor of a trailer.

- When filling a portable container, manually control the nozzle valve throughout the filling process. Fill a portable container slowly to decrease the chance of static electricity buildup and minimize spilling or splattering. Keep the nozzle in contact with the rim of the container opening while refueling.

- Fill container no more than 95 percent full to allow for expansion.

- Place cap tightly on the container after filling - do not use containers that do not seal properly.

- Only store gasoline in approved containers as required by federal or state authorities. Never store gasoline in glass or any other unapproved container.

- If gasoline spills on the container, make sure that it has evaporated before you place the container in your vehicle.Report spills to the attendant.

- When transporting gasoline in a portable container make sure it is secured against tipping and sliding, and never leave it in direct sunlight or in the trunk of a car.

On 12/5/05, Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@vanagonparts.com> wrote: > Chris, > > Can you explain this one a little more? I've never seen that warning (but > I'll look tonight when I fill up). > > A car is not grounded when you fill it with fuel, so what difference does it > make if you're filling a plastic container that is on the car? > > What about a plastic container on the ground? > > What about when you fill the plastic tank on a boat? > > That being said... whenever I fill a plane at the airport, I'm required to > attach a grounding cable to the plane prior to filling. > > Just curious... > > Cheers, > > Jeff > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]On Behalf > Of Christopher Gronski > Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 4:16 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Transporting extra gasoline on/in a Westy Vanagon > > > Filling with the tank not grounded (ie: on the roof) is a really good > way to have the tank EXPLODE AND KILL YOU and any other bystanders due > to static discharge. They put warnings on gas pumps for a reason. DO > NOT FILL TANKS ON YOUR ROOF YOU ARE RISKING YOUR LIFE AND THE LIVES OF > THOISE AROUND YOU. > > Chris > > On 12/5/05, Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@comcast.net> wrote: > > My extra gas is stored in 2.5 gallon plastic containers, one is OK for > > most trips, two for way off the beaten path. One Vanagon owner I met > > had a great setup which I am considering: he bought a plastic 6 gallon > > gas tank for an outboard boat motor and cut off the fitting that > > attaches to the motor. When you want to fill up the Vanagon tank, just > > uncoil the hose and stick it in the filler! No need to remove from > > roof. > > > > Keith O > > 84 Westy > > 90 Westy Syncro > > > > On Dec 5, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote: > > > > > Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 22:01:10 -0700 > > > From: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM> > > > Subject: Re: Transporting extra gasoline on/in a Westy Vanagon > > > > > > "So, I'm tyring to come up with a > > > safe and easy-to-implement solution." > > > > > > I carry the 5 gal. Wedco shown in Gary Lee's web pic link you posted, > > > in my > > > luggage rack, tied down. > > > Bob Stevens > > > '87 Westy Syncro > > > "Passion Fruit" > > > > > >