Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:28:28 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Bah, humbug

On the GoldBrick (86 Syncro Passenger Vanagon), my fuel guage recently (summer) stopped working. I figured it was a loose connection, so I pulled the connector off it. While I was working in that wheel well, I also smelled gasoline. One thing led to another and I put the Vanagon into the shop. I asked the shop to look for the fuel leak, but they didn't find anything. The GoldBrick was in the shop for 4 months (waiting on parts, as I was having CV joint boots replaced, front hubs replaced, Big Brakes put on etc.)

So I finally got it back, having forgotten that the fuel sender had been disconnected. Right, off to the gas station, unable to put practically anything in the tank. Then I remember. Okay. Fast forward a couple of weeks. A friend borrows it for a month. I finally get it back, ready to hook up the sending unit again, and it snows. No working outside. Okay, the driveway gets bare enough, so I take a look.

2 loose connectors in that area. Crap. Grab the Bentley and figure out the one with 1 brown wired and a violet/black wire is the connector I want. Fine. Grab that one locate the fuel sending unit (conveniently tucked in behind the suspension bracket, and hidden behind the AC's receiver/dryer). Connection made. Go check. Nope. Still no reading on the gas guage. Go double check...That's odd. That area wasn't wet before. Gas smell stronger.

Insert fingers in mouth. Get good illumination (flashlight) and watch as I wiggle the sending unit...and watch fuel coursing out.

Well, I found the gas leak. Sigh.