Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:40:21 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Does anyone have experience with high mileage motor oils?
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

When my front (between engine and flywheel) crankshaft seal went (was getting much oil on the hatch) I tried, as a "buy some time" effort, some oil stopleak treatment. It's supposed to soften the seal's rubber. It didn't work in my case.

By the way, the seal went shortly after switching to synthetic oil. It might have been coincidence but I suspect not.

I didn't pull the engine but opted to drop the transmission to replace the clutch and seals. I did this in my driveway (hardpack gravel) and I did it without a transmission jack and without any assistance.

When I pulled the old seal, it was hard as a rock. Brittle. It wasn't at all pliable. Nothing was going to soften that sucker.

After I put everything back together, I again put in synthetic oil without any problems.

Mike

roger sisler wrote: > Hello all.The archives has about 10 entries on this type of oil.Most folks are asking for comments from those with experience with this product. Unfortuantely not many have direct experience and this comment is lacking. > > I am interested in trying this produce myself. My trusty WBX has 187,000 and has leaked oil since I got it. I thought the oil was leaking form the 16 pushrod tube seals,but they appear tight. The bottom of the engine where the oil drain plug is, is always covered with oil. > > The front engine carrier bar is oiled up too. I am suspecting the main seal is the problem.Does the engine need removing to replace this seal? I think it does,so the high mileage oil may be the ticket here. > > Any comment ,now that this oil has been around for a few years now? > > Thanks,Roger > > > --------------------------------- > Yahoo! Personals > Single? There's someone we'd like you to meet. > Lots of someones, actually. Try Yahoo! Personals >