Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:12:50 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Zetec Conversion update

One problem for the Bostig Zetec is that an Executive Order would be for exactly one version of the Zetec and Bostig wants to offer an assortment of power levels from different configurations. Also CARB has tightened their interpretation of what qualifies and in addition all 1996+ vehicles have OBDII which must be implemented in the conversions if one of those engines is used. The conversion is supposed to have all the sensors and such that the donor vehicle had and this is a practical impossibility for Vanagons to comply with in some cases. At the very least Bostig would have to settle on a specific version of the conversion and then spend the time and money to get it qualified. Not easy to do from a distance. Neither the Kennedy or TIICO applications were for OBDII engines so they got away with a simpler configuration than any Zetec would be subject to. That said I think it would be great if Bostig was able to get an EO for their conversion but as a practical matter it does not always help very much. Anyone who has followed the trials and tribulations of Subaru and TIICO converties would know that the Carb Executive Order can be a bigger can of worms than just taking your chances with a referee is. The main purpose of the EO is that you can supposedly get your required smog checks done at any smog station just by driving in for your 2 year smog check and showing them a copy of the EO but it often does not actually turn out to work that way. California smog stations are mostly hesitant to take on the perceived legal liability for testing Vanagons under a conversion EO. They often deem it not worth the risk and tend to just refuse to test your vehicle unless it has a Sticker issued by a CARB referee. Trying to get a Carb referee sticker is harder if you do it under an EO since the discretion that a referee otherwise has to approve conversions is restricted by the detailed listing in the EO and the conversion must comply with a strict application of what the EO says is ok.

Mark