Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:18:50 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Vredestein & Hankook snows for $99!  (RE: sucks in snow)

For owners of vans with 14" or 16" wheels, I have two really nice snows to offer this year. (Sorry, no 15" bargains to be had this year; I'll try again next winter.) Both are directional-tread, silica compound snows similar to the Nokians, but for a lot less money. Both come from OEM suppliers to Volkswagen, and exceed ALL Volkswagen specs for safe Vanagon or Eurovan use (which is quite rare). They are only $99 each.

In a 14" size, I am expecting a shipment of Vredestein 185R14 snows soon, which were highly rated by the German magazine Pro-Mobile Extra (over the Michelin Agilis Snows, among others). I have been using Vredestein snows on my '89 Westy, and have been amazed not only by their winter performance, but also by the fact that they have as quiet and comfortable a ride as a summer tire (which cannot be said of all snow tires). In fact I left mine on my Westy straight through the spring completely by mistake, simply because they drove so well in dry weather that I forgot I hadn't changed them! Supposedly these are on their way to me from Vredestein in Holland. I'll post a note here when they arrive.

For those with late model Eurovans, or Vanagons with 16" aftermarket wheels, I also have (in stock now, after a 2 month wait!) a small quantity of Hankook Icebear W300 225/60R/16 XL Extra Load snow tires, which I brought in based on several glowing reports on the Eurovan list. These received 2 out of 3 stars on the German ADAC test, and were reviewed on the Eurovan list as being better than the Nokians. These run $132 each at 1010tires.com etc.

Quantites are limited on both of these, as tire manufacturers don't seem to think there is a U.S. market for snows that fit VW vans. :-(

Link:

http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT