Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:10:22 -0800
From:         Marcel Poirier <poiriermca@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      poor mileage

Marlan,

I had the same thing with my 85 westy. I was getting 12.3 miles/gal. I checked everything...and all was within specs. I was very upset with it.

Then one day I was looking at the digijet wiring diagram and noticed that the wire going from the ECU to the O2 sensor connector was shielded. At first I thought only the 86+ vanagons had shielded wire to the O2 sensor. That was a surprise for me. Then it came to my mind that even with a new O2 sensor, the vanagon was acting the same be it connected or not. I thought "the O2 wire must be grounded all the time by having a short between the shield and the actual wire". So I tested it. At the ECU, pin 5 goes to the O2 sensor and pin 6 (shield) connects to ground. (If my memory serves...) I had continuity from the O2 sensor connector and pin 6 which is bad. That meant I had a short between the shield and the wire. I inspected the wire and found that someone had cut back the shield and at the same time the insulation of the O2 ECU wire was damaged. So I put some electrical tape to insulate the wire from the shield.

Then guess what, up here, winter came and I had to winterize the westy before being able to test mileage again. So I wont know before next spring! Anyone can confirm if all this makes sense?

Hope this helps, Marcel Poirier, Napierville, Canada