Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:37:02 -0500
From:         Kurt Camealy <camealy@CTSR.COM>
Subject:      No cold start ability at all?

One morning I went to start my van (20F outside) and it didn't even catch. It is not that it stumbled and died, but there was no grab or attempt to run. I assumed Water Temp sensor so I tested it and it is putting out 700 Ohms after a full run and then sitting for 20 minutes. I also checked my Idle Switch and it is fine. The only way I can get it to start is to hold the key while holding the pedal about ¾ down. After about 5-10 seconds it will grab and I slowly release the pedal to until about ¼. After about 30 seconds I can let go and the van will do everything in its power to hold 900RPM. It is very lumpy down low and at idle until a couple minutes of driving then everything is fine. That is water temp sensor right? When the van is warmed up, it starts fine, holds idle perfect, and runs OK, just slightly rich. The fuel cutoff during decel seems to work as well. Where is the nearest point to the computer I could test the water temp signal to make sure my wiring isn't broken? Is there some ground I should look for?

Thanks all,

Kurt

87 Wolfsburg GL