Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:28:20 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tom's gentile defect
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

That's funny. You are what you are, depending on the community you are in.

Now don't everybody get bent out of shape by this tale, it's the facts, and is just a reflection of the idiocy we humans are capable of, and my comments here have no mean spirited intent.

When I lived in Western Alaska years ago amongst the Yu'pik Eskimo people, they referred to anyone who wasn't one of them as "Gus'sucks". It was used to differentiate "Us" from "Them" in conversation, and also on occasion to drive in a little of the derogatory in the converstaion. I never let it offend me. I think the word was a derivative of "Cossack" which is a term the Russians certainly used during their "ownership" of "The Great Land". While on occassion it certainly was used as a racial slur, I refused to allow it to get under my skin. I know where people live and that sort of thing just flys over me. But to my point - there were definite racial attitudes expressed at times in that country, and sometimes it was down right funny. I had a very good friend, a black man, well educated, as was hs wife, and he worked for the FAA. He transferred from Bethel Alaska to Pt. Barrow, as a step up in position, and it was about a year before I saw him again. We got together for a cup of coffee and were discussing his tour in Barrow, and I asked him how it compared to Bethel. He said it wasn't much different, except that occasionally some local drunk would deliver a racial epithet. I ask what he meant and he said there had been a couple of times on the street when he had been called a "honky"!!. We both had a very good belly laugh over that one. You see, my friend was a very black man - the very antithesis of the word "honky", usually applied to my kind.

So, we are who we are to ourselves, and then we are who we are according to the community we are in. It is odd how we humans divide things up. Among some, Catholics are not Christians, among others they are. Mormans refer to those not of the body as Gentiles?? How strange to me, when my whole life I was taught and beleive that anyone was/is a gentile who was not a Jew. But does all this make a whits difference to me?? Nope, not even one whit. I have friends amongst many groups - Jew, Gentile - African Americans, Hispanic, Eskimo, Indian, and Chinese. I consider myself blessed for having such diverse friends. It has enriched my life.

Just my $0.05 on Frydaye!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver