Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:40:17 -0600
From:         Mark Magee <markbmagee@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Antifreeze
Comments: To: Bill Collins <wb6otg@INTREX.NET>

This is common, it apparently upsets some folks so much that there are a few class action attorneys trying to get a paycheck back against The General for coming up with this horrible formulation. However.... Despite the mud it does make, it apparently is very very good at remaining anti-corrosive. Apparently the 'mud' it makes is small chunks or even a slime coating of a silicon based product that cooks out of the formula over time. Mechanics I've talked to said the mud has not been associated with any corrosion related problems. The $64,000 question everyone is posing to The General, is why this formula is claimed to prevent corrosion for up to 5 years/150,000 when it begins to precipitate the silcon granules many times before two years. The end result from my research: Dex cool is a very good product that produces a slime or even some small amounts of 'silicon' mud. Conventional wisdom is to stay with it. BUT change it every two years on a flush and fill machine. The longer it stays in, the more it will precipitate out the silicon flecks (what I found in my 98 Diesel Suburban. SOOOO, the value of the 5 years is out the window if you have to change it every 2 years. I am looking for a suitable substitute due to this reason, but in no hurry as the stuff apparently is very stable and anti-corrosive for a long time.

Mark Magee 90 CARAT 94K Miles Kemah TX USA