Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:15:18 -0800
From:         Christopher <chris@MIRAIUSA.COM>
Subject:      Cooling Issues & starter woes

A couple of fun issues I am dealing with:

(i) Last Wednesday a transport truck forgot about the 'stop' part of stop and go traffic on I-405. He wacked into the car behind me and pushed it into the back of my '89 Westy. I pulled over, turned off the motor and got out to check the wreckage. Seems like the car that got pushed into me took the brunt of it. My tow bar and rear bumper took a direct hit and it seems like the tow bar is bent and the bumper is pushed in far enough so that the side wrap around parts scrapped into my rear wheel wells. After the information exchange and a visit from the state patrol, I got back into my van to take off but it wouldn't start. I ended up getting it towed to Bow Wow in Lynnwood.

Doug MacAulay is the guy working on it and he told me there was something wrong with the starter. $392 to fix that - included labor.

He said it might be related to the accident but he wasn't sure. It was working fine right up until I got wacked. Anyone ever heard of something like this or have a theory here? The adjuster that came out mumbled something about not covering a broken starter as that couldn't have been due to the accident.

Since I had my van in, I asked Doug to change the coolant. So Friday rolls around and he calls me to tell me the sad story about how he ripped apart the cooling lines that run from the front of the van to the rear and that the connections are all corroded out. In fact he said he wouldn't be able to put them back together. They will run about $450 to replace + labor and the one on the side of the block should be done as well. It comes to another $1100.

I'm a little upset that they didn't warn me about the possibilities of the issues with the coolant pipes before they ripped into it. Has anyone else had experience with this shop? Good or bad, I'm just looking for any opinions. Go Westy has a kit I discovered, for $49.00 that allows one to replace all the fittings. Anyone used this?

Appreciate your help and comments.

Cheer,

Chris '89 Westy Seattle