Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:45:38 -0800
From:         jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help! Need VW diesel shop in San Francisco
Comments: To: GoodOleVolksWest@yahoogroups.com, vwdiesel@vwfans.com,
          diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com, wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Update:

I've found a shop, Bug & Hare, just down the street from me in SF. They sound like they are good. Anyone ever deal with them? Larry Chase's list seems to indicate they are good. Bad thing is I cannot get in till tomorrow (Tuesday).

Also, thanks to Tom F., I also called Autohaus II. I left a message. I am going to go with them if they call back, and I can get in today.

Another option is Tassi, but they are closed on Mondays. They are in Colma, about 5 or 10 minutes from here.

Here is what I have found out so far:

I pulled the vaccum pump, and it's fine. The oil pump also spins freely. After further inspection, I found some metal shavings around the engine compartment.

As near as I can tell, a bolt backed out of the intermediate shaft pulley, and caused it to seize. Good thing I noticed the oil pressure light right after I heard a screeeeeeeeeeeetch, and shut the engine right down.

So, I am hoping all the shop need to do is pull off the timing belt covers, replace the bolt, and replace the timing belt (for good measure).

Wish me luck! ;-) And, thank the diety of your choice for AAA.

If you are ever looking for a place to stay in the Marina(ish) district in San Fran, Hotel Del Sol is excellent.

Jon (541) 619-6490