Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:18:56 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: cylinder head drain plug

Thanks all. The concensous is to go ahead and take it out with a standard hex scoket. Solid. I redid my off the wall head gasket repair last weekend.It worked,and I am now driving again,but it is leaking at night when the tempature gets low(a few ounces).Have to go in there again (D#M).This leak will stop in warm weather, but I want it stopped now.I under estimated the tenasity of this head gasket to leak dispite my complete and undivided attention. It leaks at each end of the section that I cut out(7 inches). I know how to fix this ,but I guess I was not respectful enough towards this bada** head gasket.I need to cut the top rubber flap on each end, back to the point that the gasket still in the groove is still holding back coolant.Then apply the Quick Steel puddy over this gasket and press it into the end where the rubber meets the puddy.I didnt do this to the letter well enough ,and the gasket knew it.Total gasket removed will be about 9 inches of gasket.Not a repair for the faint of heart.When I removed the old puddy from the previous repair,the puddy that was in the groove was still doing its' job.The previous repair failed because I failed to clean the engine case well enough.The JBWeld didnt fail because of high tempatures.Got to pay special attention ,plus, to each end.Thats the key.The space between each end,no matter how large, is ez provided the water jacket is dry,dry,dry.I had to drill the actual groove puddy out with a small drill.The perfect puddy would be an expanding puddy, like the expanding morter that brick layers have to patch with.I removed all the oxidation around the gasket with a drill/wire brush,then sanded it by hand with 80 grit.Pretty! As a final touch, I added a lump of puddy over each pushrod tube between the top of the tube and the rubber gasket above it.This will act as 4 braces to hold the gasket inplace if it decides to leak along this area,sometime in the future.I would give you all pictures,but I dont have a digital camper ,and I can barely use this computer anyway.My son comes home from college this week,Maybe I can get him to do it.My daughter graduates from college this weekend,and I trust this repair enough to drive the 300 miles.Knock on wood.