Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:59:44 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Crazy intermittant rich running finally solved!

A customer recently came in needing an engine rebuild. He also wanted me to replace almost everything else in the fuel injection system and ignition system. He had actually accumulated the parts already so I just installed what he had. New AFM, distributor, cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, filters, ground strap, and temp sensors. However after the new engine was installed the van would exhibit a Jekyl and Hyde personality. It would run great for a few days. Then it would run really badly (rich) making a put-put-put sound. Then for no apparent reason, it would run great again. I swapped in my digitool ECU and it ran the same. I couldn't see any readings on the digitool that were really out of line with normal. When it was running great or running bad the readings were the same. Finally after pulling my hair out for a few weeks, I decided to replace the entire engine wiring harness. But first a voice told me to check the fuel pressure. I checked it and it was 7 psi higher than it should be. Also the pressure was bleeding down rather quickly after the engine was shut off. I tested per Bentley and found that the Fuel Pressure Regulator was the bad. Installed a good used one and now the van is great! No more J and H! I think what was happening was that the fuel pressure was just high enough to be right at the limit of where the fuel injection could compensate for the richer running and allow the van to run decent most of the time. But then sometimes the pressure went just a little higher and the fuel injection would go haywire trying to compensate (thus the rich running/put-put-put). Just my theory.

Just wanted to pass this on to the list. If you have been testing your sensors and they are all reading good, check your fuel pressure before banging you head against the wall.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com