Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:02:59 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: water cooled head leaks???

Head gasket leaks are responsible for removing almost all the vanagons from the road,prematurely.I rarely see in my area,and have notseen any for many years.The people that have them today are not soccer moms,unless they are also mechanics.

My experience with leaks is that they start slowly and continue like this for a thousand miles or so. The owner says "Hummmmm", and adds antifreeze as needed.As the days pass, the wiff of antifreeeze gets more common as the van is exited at the shopping mall and grocery store."Hummmm thats strange", they might think.

Soon the occasional drop of antifreeze on the driveway becomes 2 or 3 drops.Not long after this, the drops get more frequent and in the morning there is now a puddle. The addition of antifreeeze is getting expensive and stops. Water is used,and the recognition that a major problem exists is now evident.

The wiffs get stronger and more frequent. Stop leak is purchaced to save the day.Suddenly, on the interstate, 25 miles from home, the gasket blows. The curve of antifreeze loss has increased faster than the owner has been measuring the loss. The red light flashes and the tow truck is summoned.The garage says "$800 for one side,but you better do both.We will cut you some slack here and do ther job for $1500,but no gaurantees".

There is a person in Walkersville Maryland that owns about 80 vanagons.He also owns a shop. I think I can guess how he got them.I toured the museum once.Mostley 83.5-85.No diesel or syncro.Few westys.

If you want to buy a vanagon with a wbx,anywhere,take a antifreeze tester with you when inspecting. Draw out a sample and test for concentration. If it is far below 50/50,suspect a head gasket leak.