Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:07:21 -0800
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      CARB & Alaska - States Rights
Comments: To: mst@AK.NET

Mark,

Interesting e-mail. Scary actually.

Do you really have to have CARB (California Air Resources Board) approval for an engine conversion in parts of Alaska? Is it actual CARB approval, or some Alaskan body similar to CARB?

Not to get into a huge political thread here, but it is mighty scary when one state is in a position to dictate what another autonomous states does. If CARB approval is truly required by Alaska (in certain locations), Alaska has effectively decided to roll over and let another state dictate what it can do. Sure, I understand that Alaska can probably change its own rules whenever it wants to, but it is a frightening idea that one independent state would really willingly give so much authority to another state.

I can understand patterning a program after California, but actual CARB approval? Think of the implications and possibilities. Can you imagine New York agreeing to follow Texas TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) regulations and requirements (parts of the city of Dallas are dry, while other parts are wet, some counties are completely dry while others have no dry areas, at least 5 different types of retail alcohol licenses that I know of {under one you can sell a 6-pack to someone, but it can only be taken off premises for consumption, however if you sell a single beer to that same person, he/she MUST drink it on premises and cannot take it off site}). New Yorkers wouldn't stand for it.

I'm surprised that Alaskans would allow this. As ya'll might know (or guess), I'm from Texas (born, raised, and lived there for 40 years) and states' rights are of supreme importance to me.

Just Thinking Out Loud, Bruce motorbruce motorbruce@hotmail.com