Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:47:04 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Quick freeze, wipers on...

If you're a little less lucky, the soft metal where the wiper arm attaches is all chewed up from it trying to work all night in the freeze. In which case carefully cleaning it out won't work, and you'll be looking at new wiper arms. Available from BusDepot for $25 each (less Vanagon list discount, of course).

I know, I have my new pair waiting for me to get out and install them!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Mike Collum :::Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 8:22 AM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: Quick freeze, wipers on... ::: :::Blake, ::: :::I highly suspect that your problem is where the wiper arms attach to the :::shafts ... very common. The inner part of the wiper arm attachment is :::made of soft metal. ::: :::Pop off the little round caps and remove the nuts with a 10mm wrench. :::Pry .. wiggle the arms off the shafts. Clean all of the soft metal out :::of the splines of the wiper shafts which will surely be there. Getting :::the old stuff off the splines is really important. ::: :::If you're lucky, there will still be enough of the soft metal in the :::attachment sockets of the arms so that when you put them back on the :::splines will cut new grooves and you'll be back to normal. Sometimes :::adding a small washer under the 10mm nut will be necessary to tighten :::the arm back down properly. ::: :::Mike ::: :::Blake Sartin wrote: :::> ...and now they just flop around on the windshield. I accidentally :::left the :::> wipers on last night when it was raining, and this morning (when it was :::> below freezing) they were still on when I started it up. :( :::> :::> I assume that the gear is broken in the wiper motor. Crap. :::> :::> The motor runs fine, but the wipers do not engage. :::> :::> Is this a job for a new wiper motor, or is the gear replaceable? And I :::can :::> only guess that getting the motor out from under that dash is just :::going to :::> be lovely. :::> :::> So far this "buying a Vanagon" thing has been a daily learning :::experience. :::> But I guess it was the same way with my Bus. :::> :::> Thanks all, :::> :::> Blake Sartin :::> Moderator, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bus-life :::> All Fridays, All The Time. No Tech Talk! :::> '69 Westfalia :::> '84 Vanagon :::> Athens, GA :::>