Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:48:41 -0500
From:         Milo's Kitchen <sagmoore@ZOOMINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bleeding Coolant on a 2.1L syncro
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

Or,,,

Even if you haven't done an engine conversion of any sort, you could still buy and install the radiator bleeder block from KEP (Kennedy Engineered Products). It consists of a hollow brass block, compression fitting, "b-nut" and copper tube, with a tee handled needle valve on the side. The old bleeder bolt is removed; the block, a seal and a longer bolt are installed, holding the block in place on the radiator. Installing it requires that you remove the right-hand bottom radiator mount to allow installation of the longer bolt (lowering the right side of the rad a little), and then reinstalling the mount. See the KEP website.

When it comes time to bleed, simply remove the grille and turn the tee handle anti-clockwise to open the valve and bleed off the air. No tools required. Its easy to attach a clear plastic hose to the free end of the copper tube and collect any stray coolant (thereby saving painted surfaces from abuse, no more puking baby syndrome from the rad). You can also submerge the free hose end into a clear plastic container (empty 1 liter Pep*i bottle is my choice) half-filled with fresh coolant mix to observe the bubbles as you bleed. Like bleeding brakes, eh?

Ah, but the best part is that after the air is mostly out of the system, leave the plastic hose submerged in the bottle with coolant in it (temporarily attach the bottle to the nose of the van with tape or your weapon of choice) and leave the tee handled valve open. As the engine cools, it will draw fresh coolant mix from the bottle back into the system, the same way as it does from the refill tank.

Or, roll your own.

Dave