Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:02:52 -0500
From:         Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wating_time@ALLVANTAGE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electrical Gremlins?
Comments: To: Ray Reinhard <rayreinhard@GMAIL.COM>

Ray, Check the ground clusters behind the fuse block. On my truck, the windshield leaked on it and caused corrosion. While I was in there cleaning up connections I noticed several connectors had more than one wire. These I separated and gave each it's own spade terminal. You would think that would have been the end but no. Later I had to upgrade the headlight ground wires by changing the push-on with eyelets and fastening them with the large screws that hold on the fuse block.

Ken Lewis http://neksiwel.20m.com/ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Reinhard" <rayreinhard@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:22 PM Subject: [VANAGON] Electrical Gremlins?

I was listening to my stereo today, with the front heater fan on, when I flipped the switch to turn on the rear window defroster. As soon as I did so, the stereo went dead -- no sound, all lights out. "OK," I thought, "this is simple. They must all be on the same circuit and the additional load from turning on the defroster blew a fuse." I then flipped the defroster switch back to the "off" position and -- here's the odd part -- the stereo went on. I tried this several times: defroster switch "on," stereo off. Defroster switch "off," stereo on. So I decided to leave the defroster off so that I could listen to the stereo. By now, I had also turned the heater fan off. When I tried to turn it on again -- guess what? -- the stereo went dead (even though, just a few minutes earlier, when I had the defroster off, both the heater fan and the stereo were working).

So, to sum up: the stereo works fine if both the defroster and the heater fan are off. If either (or both) switches are set to the "on" position, the stereo goes dead. This has me completely stumped. I have never had this problem before. I'm hoping that someone with some knowledge of electrical circuits can deduce what's causing this to occur and suggest how to fix it.

-- Ray Reinhard '86 Westy