Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:04:23 -0500
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery Light
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>

Mike Sorry I had my description backwards. The reds are indeed going to the B+ connector and that is where I touched the blue wire to making the light go out.

Have a look at the attached photo. The D+ connector has a spade connector on it, that doesn"t really look like it used to be home to the blue wire. Am I wrong?

This is so frustrating... thanks to everyone for sticking with me this long...

Chris

On 12/18/05, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: > The connectors can be different ... but other than that they are > electrically the same. The red ones are B+ ... the blue one is D+. Use > a mirror and a light ... examine the alternator carefully for a place > labled D+. Some alternators also have a W connector. Avoid that one if > you have it as it's for an entirely different application. > > Mike > > > Christopher Gronski wrote: > > Yes MIke, unfortunately your alternator is not the same as mine, I do > > not have the additional connection beside the D+ bolt. > > > > Chris > > > > On 12/18/05, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: > > > >>Chris, > >> > >>Did you get the email I sent with the picture that clearly showed that > >>the blue wire does NOT connect to the same place as the big red wires? > >> > >>Mike > >> > >> > >>Christopher Gronski wrote: > >> > >>>Hi All, > >>> > >>>I have run into a difference of opinion. I have it on good authority > >>>from several reliable sources that the blue wire I have been having > >>>such difficulty with goes on the B+ spade connector, I also have > >>>strong evidence to say that it goes on the D+ connector. > >>> > >>>So here is what I did, I was leaning toward the D+ connector as there > >>>was already a spade connector on the B+ that did not look like it was > >>>once a double connection. I started the engine and touched the bare > >>>blue wire to the nut that the D+ red wires connect to. Sucess the red > >>>charging light went out. That leaves me with the following questions' > >>> > >>>1: Does this blue wire just run the light? If so I may leave it off > >>>until I get someone with some skill to look at it. > >>> > >>>2: If I actually was wrong about the location would touching the wire > >>>have shorted or not shut down the light or something else that would > >>>have indicated I had the wrong location? > >>> > >>>Thoughts? > >>> > >>>Chris > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>>On 12/18/05, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > >>> > >>> > >>>>Mark have a look at these photos. The first one (titled > >>>>"disconnected") is the rear view of my alternator with the > >>>>disconnected wire. There is already a black running to the D+ > >>>>connector you are talking about. The second is the offending PS piump > >>>>wire (titled "PS pump"). The last two are from Robert Rountree and > >>>>they really make it look like the blue runs to that same 14" fitting > >>>>with the bolt. > >>>> > >>>>I have not done this with the engine running but if I touch the blue > >>>>wire to the alternator terminal, I can hear a click from somewhere up > >>>>front (near the driver). > >>>> > >>>>Chris > >>>> > >>>>On 12/18/05, mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > >>>> > >>>> > >>>>>NO.The blue wire connects to the alternator lead labeled D+ on the > >>>>>alternator. It is either a very small threaded stud next to the large > >>>>>red wire connection stud or a male spade in the same area. DO NOT > >>>>>connect to any spade labeled W. > >>>>> > >>>>>Mark > >>>>> > >>>>>Christopher Gronski wrote: > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>>>So Robert the Blue wire connects to exactly the same place as those > >>>>>>two thick reds? > >>>>>> > >>>>>>Chris > >>>>>> > >>>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>> > > >