Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:29:47 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil out of concrete
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

And why not? After all, the bitumen used in road paving is oil, essentially. Maybe all the bitumen surfaced roads in the country can now be plowed up, the bitumen collected and put through some of the newer cracking and refining processes and we would have a whole new oil supply, albeit a limited one. Highways are not a renewable resource. The roads could be resurfaced with concrete, once the bitumen was removed.

BTW, many ships used to use - and maybe some still do in this world - use bunker oil for fuel in engines that had pistons the size of syrup buckets and bigger. The bunker oil was almost like tar, and it was preheated so it would flow and could be injected into the cylinders. If bunker oil could be used as fuel, then why not bitumen, huh?

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver