Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:03:00 -0800
From:         Alan Cady <acercflyer@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Plug fouling & gas in oil problem....

Jerry,

I'm not sure how to get my email out to all listmembers.

I am thinking it is through you, and this email address, I hope so any way.

I'm having a terrible problem with my 1985 waterboxer, I have searched in vain the archives for a solution, we are rural, without a VW service center close by.

My VW mechanic informs me that his motor rebuild is complete.

He has established that the original problems that done in my motor in the first place are still present.

He admits to not having the diagnostic equipment to continue on to complete to deliver me a drivable Van. I've told him about this awesome Vanagon mailing list and asked him for a little time to see if any of you Vaniacs could help us troubleshoot through this last problem.

So Here goes...

Symptoms Jim says;

The motor runs like its loading up We have some black smoke exiting the exhaust pipe The plugs are beginning to foul out A faint smell of gasoline is present in my crankcase oil All of these symptoms were present before the the motor rebuild.

I had to change the plugs after every 400 miles I got about 11 miles to the gallon in gas milage It was difficult to start

Upon tearing down the engine the mechanic found the main bearings worn down into what appeared to be a Copper like color. the hydrolic lifters were locked up very tight.

The motor is fresh, With all new parts, Including;

Pistons & Cylinders Lifters Valve parts Seals Bearings Oil pump H20 pump Clutch kit, etc...

Jim, Has replaced all the vacume hoses in an attempt to overcome this anomliy, to no avail. He thinks it could be one or possible a combination of the following, causing this to happen.

Oxygen Sensor Fuel pressure regulator Bad Fuel Injectors Fuel Injection Control Unit Intake Air Sensor Auxiliry Air Regulator Full Throttle Enrichment Unit Residual Fuel Pressure Unit Throttel Valve Switch Vacume Regulator

I need this van drivable really bad. I have just about exhausted the bank on very much more $$$ into this project. So far I have $3,100.00 into this 1985 Vanagon.

I respectfully request, if any list members see a familiar symptom or recognize this problem, or know of an archived fix, Please email me your thoughts or comments.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Al Cady, Conrad, Montana

Hm Ph: 406-278-9183