Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:43:54 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: slow leaks and flat tires
Comments: To: peter cobb <pcobb@SOFTCOM.NET>

These are the causes that I've experienced with flat tires.

Damaged Tires. Usually nails or screws. Seem to be common around Home Depot parking lots.

Bent rims. If your rim is sufficiently bend you can lose the seal on the edge that keeps it airtight. This is usually NOT a slow leak.

Valve stems. Old valves rubber can leak. New valves helps deal with this. Alternatively the INSIDE of the valve (the removable part) might not be fully tightened down. This is usually noticed by a bit of air pressure released when you take the dust cap off. A common high school prank was to loosen these giving people flat tires.

And now for something REALLY subtle (and not likely an issue for Vanagon folk). If you have chromed wheels, it is possible the chrome job is pealing off. This can allow for air to leak UNDER the chrome. Darn near impossible to fix, except by stripping of the chrome.