Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:28:54 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Could hot starting problems be caused by a defective ignition
              swich?

> He has a HOT START PROBLEM , not a NO CRANK PROBLEM.

He did not specify whether the starter was actually cranking or not (except sometimes after releasing the ignition key). The solenoid issue (which would result in a no-crank problem) is commonly referred to on air-cooled VW's as a "hot start" problem.

> A Nobel Prize is in order here because Ron has > unearthed a metal which CONTRACTS with temperature.

Okay, you got me there; I was writing at midnight, not proofreading, and thinking stupidly. :-) It is the solenoid expanding, not the sleeve contracting. But the net result is the same; reduced clearance between the two causing the solenoid to require more current to kick.

> If the starter's current draw were routed through the > ignition switch, then the ignition switch would be the size > of a three pound Maxwell House coffee can.

Since the early Bus, VW has always routed the starter solenoid's current through the ignition switch rather than using it as a trigger. This causes problems on many Busses (where the battery is practically next to the starter, so the current feeds from the battery in the back of the Bus, all the way to the ignition switch up front, and then back to the starter in the back). It is less common with Vanagons (perhaps because of the shorter signal path, the battery being closer to the ignition switch; perhaps because many Vanagons are newer and have not suffered as much wiring/terminal degradation yet), but it is still not unheard of. The "fix" of using a relay or similar solution to shorten this path is nothing new. It dates back about 25 years, to John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive," and has been a widely used remedy ever since.

> Anyway, why cover the symptom with a > Band-Aid instead of curing the disease?

That's a reasonable question. There are two lines of thought on this, which is why I mentioned both alternatives. It depends on whether you consider adding a relay a "band-aid" approach, or an improvement over an intrinsically flawed original design. Proponents of the relay approach would suggest that the stock design is silly and makes the starter far more prone to minor voltage drop than it needs to be. Therefore, shortening the path makes it less prone to this problem by eliminating the original design flaw. Detractors of the relay approach would contend that if there are corroded terminals, etc., there may also be voltage drop that is affecting other things (i.e. headlight brightness), and the hot-start solenoid failure is a warning sign of a larger looming problem. Therefore it should be resolved by cleaning/replacing all of the contacts (and perhaps the starter or solenoid if all else fails). Frankly I make more money selling $100 starters than $15 relays, so from a profit perspective I should not be suggesting a cheap relay fix. But from a "real world" perspective, many people over 25 years have elminated the hot-start issue problem by simply adding the relay. Of course this really is not an either/or proposition. You could inspect/repair all connections and also add a relay for good measure. After all, while a hot-start solenoid problem may be an early warning sign of a more global voltage drop issue, this "warning sign" can leave you stranded if it causes the starter not to turn at an inopportune time. Therefore, as warning signs go, it can be a rather inconvenient one.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT