Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:18:20 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Fiberglass bumper repair
Comments: To: davevickery@hotmail.com

In a message dated 12/26/05 11:00:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, davevickery@hotmail.com writes:

> O.k. I have to take responsibity for my post you quoted below. > > But I'm sticking by what I said. My understanding, the vanagon bumpers > aren't fiberglass. I went by what a respected bumper repair place told me > and they would not guarrantee a repair because of the material the bumper is > > made out of. They recommended the marine compound as the best chance of a > permanent repair. > > But you are excused Chris. BTW, have you got a grey stove knob kicking > around? >

ive had some "respected bodyshops" tell me all kinds of things. just because someone is a "respected bodyshop" doesnt mean they know the composition of a '87-'91 vanagon fiberglass bumper. and yes, i said FIBERGLASS, as thats what they are made of. i have plenty of broken ones here waiting for me to fix to prove it :<)

they probably wouldnt guarantee a repair, because bodyshops generally dont like to guarantee anything ..too many variables.. its not like bolting on an alternator, and it either works or it doesnt.

the vanagon bumpers are injection molded fiberglass. the inner core being more of the fine FG cloth, and the outer layer being the smooth resin, on the front and the backside of the piece. most bodyshops arent used to this, as the aftermarket FG bodykits you see out there on the fast and furious crowd are mostly the 'chopper gun" kits, not molded on both sides... just resin laid in a mold and the rough cloth shot into it, which leaves the rough FG matting on the backside. so anyone not familiar with the vanagon bumpers sees a finished surface on both front and back of a piece, and think its a composite plastic or some other material.. even Ron Salmon was incorrectly calling these bumpers "plastic" for a while on his site... lol anyway.. definately fiberglass.

ps on the stove knobs - i may have another aftermarket source for these soon. theyd be in black. paint them grey if it bothers ya :<)

chris